Why Study In The UK?
Why study abroad?
If you ask anybody who has ever studied abroad, he or she will most certainly tell you that it is a life-changing experience and one of the most rewarding things he or she has ever done.
Here are just a few reasons why you should consider studying abroad:
Studying abroad is the optimal way to learn a language. There is no better and more effective way to learn a language than to be immersed in a culture that speaks the language you are learning. You are surrounded by the language on a daily basis and are seeing and hearing it in the proper cultural context. Language learning happens most quickly under these circumstances.
- Studying abroad provides the opportunity to travel. Weekends and academic breaks allow you to venture out and explore your immediate and more distant surroundings. Since studying abroad often places you on a completely different continent, you are much closer to places you might otherwise not have had the opportunity to visit. Some structured study programs even have field trips planned in or around the curriculum.
- Studying abroad allows you get to know another culture first-hand. Cultural differences are more than just differences in language, food, appearances and personal habits. Students who experience cultural differences personally can come to truly understand other cultures.
- Studying abroad will help you develop skills and give you experiences which a classroom setting will never provide. Being immersed in an entirely new cultural setting may be a bit scary at first, but it can also be very exciting. It represents an opportunity to discover new strengths and abilities, meet new challenges, and solve various problems. You will encounter situations that are wholly unfamiliar to you and will learn to adapt and respond in effective ways.
- Studying abroad affords you the opportunity to make friends around the world. While abroad, you will meet not only natives to the culture in which you are studying, but also other students who may be as far from home as yourself.
- Studying abroad helps you to learn about yourself. Students who study abroad return home with new ideas and perspectives about themselves and their own culture. The experience abroad often challenges them to reconsider their own beliefs and values, which may strengthen those values or perhaps cause students to alter or abandon them and embrace new concepts and perceptions. The encounter with other cultures enables students to see their own culture through new eyes.
- Studying abroad expands your worldview. Students who study abroad return home with an informed and much less biased perspective towards other cultures and people.
- Studying abroad gives you the opportunity to break out of your academic routine. This is likely to be different what you are used to doing as a student. You may become familiar with an entirely new academic system and will have the chance to take courses not offered on your home campus.
- Studying abroad enhances employment opportunities. Through an employer’s eyes, a student who has studied abroad is self-motivated, independent, adaptable, willing to embrace challenges and able to cope with diverse problems and situations. Your experience of living and studying in a foreign country, negotiating another culture, and acquiring another language will all set you apart from the majority of other job applicants.
- Studying abroad can enhance the value of your degree. While abroad, you can take courses you would never have had the opportunity to take on your home campus.
So why choose the UK?
Many people see UK education as an excellent long-term investment with well-established returns including self-confidence, intellectual maturity and career progression. Students come to study in Britain for many reasons:
- The UK education system is world-renowned, internationally recognised and its qualifications are well-respected in the employment world as they are invariably of the highest standards. It combines the best elements of tradition and modernity which contributes towards academic excellence.
- The British education system offers more study opportunities than any other comparable western academic system. Many institutions provide degrees with a strong vocational foundation and enjoy good links with businesses and professional organisations.
- UK degree courses are shorter because they are more intensive and therefore more efficient in terms of your time and money.
- The UK has a long tradition of assisting and helping international students through scholarships, grants and bursaries to fund postgraduate study. This means you will save a great deal on both tuition fees and living costs.
- The UK is a rich, diverse, cosmopolitan and multicultural society with plenty to see and do! Many thousands of families from around the world have made the UK their home, creating an incredibly diverse, open-minded and multicultural society. More than a quarter of a million international students are resident in the UK at any one time.
- The UK provides opportunities to build your CV by allowing you to work whilst studying. It also makes provisions for stay in the UK for a period, after graduation, to look for employment; so you can learn and earn at the same time!
- Studying in the UK will vastly improve your knowledge of English. Your immersion in the country and culture will rapidly improve your language skills and therefore greatly increase your employability factor.
- The UK has been welcoming international students for many generations. Its universities are used to looking after the welfare of international students and have well-developed support services and social networks on campus through a variety of societies and clubs.
- Study in the UK will provide you with ample opportunities for meeting, studying and networking with people from all over the world – so your perspectives will be global, your attitudes will be international and you will have develop lifelong friendships.
- The UK is a welfare state and the National Health Service (NHS) is one of the pillars of this welfare state. It provides you the security and safety of a free medical service as well as reduced costs in medicines, dental treatment and eye tests.
- The UK has an exciting sports and fun culture. People like to get together and enjoy themselves. World-class theatres, concert halls and art galleries can be found in all large towns and cities; big sports events take place every weekend; cafes and restaurants are everywhere.
- The UK is an ideal holiday destination with its wealth of attractions, and its towns and cities reflect a rich historical and cultural heritage. The UK countryside is perhaps the country’s greatest glory. With shimmering lakes, rolling hills, state-of-the-art science museums, zoos, piers, wildlife parks and so on, it is little wonder that the UK is one the most popular global holiday destinations.